Eggs are everywhere. They’re in our baked goods, sushi, salads and more. The average person eats about 254 eggs per year, so that yields a lot of used egg cartons.
Egg cartons that are made from paper can be recycled, but many people still throw them away. Instead of throwing them away there are many different ways that you can reuse the carton, just like you can reuse old CDs and plastic soda bottles.
Here are a few creative ideas:
- Makeshift Ice Cube Tray ‘ If you’re in a bind and need to make more ice without ice cube trays, you can fill the carton with water and freeze for a quick fix (only for foam cartons).
- Start Seedlings ‘ If you’re just beginning to plant something from seeds, cut off the top of the carton, fill the cups with soil and plant the seeds. Once they start sprouting you can transfer them to wherever you want them to permanently grow.
- Desk Organizer ‘ With so many small compartments, egg cartons are great to place to store paper clips, thumb tacks, rubber bands and more, and they can be used both on top of your desk and in a drawer.
- Earring Storage ‘ The small size is perfect for storing your earrings in.
- Golf Ball Holder ‘ If you’re an avid golfer you can store up to a dozen golf balls in one case.
- Store Change ‘ If you keep extra change around or you happen to be having a yard sale, these are perfect for separating change.
- Paint Palette ‘ Use the different cups to hold varying colors of paint.
- Nuts and Bolts Holder ‘ Make your own storage container for nails, nuts and bolts.
- Shipping Material ‘ You can always use egg cartons to cushion fragile items that need to be shipped far away.
- Taco Starter ‘ Place the taco shells in between the grooves where the cups are located and fill them easily with taco fixings.
These are just a few ways that you can reuse your old egg cartons if you can’t recycle them.
You’ll realize once you start reusing them that the creative ideas will keep flowing.