The average mid-size car gets about 27 miles per gallon, and the average SUV gets about 15 miles per gallon. Both types of cars release tons of toxic greenhouse gases into the air. With the increase in gas prices and the growing concern for global warming, a traditional car or SUV may not be the answer for the budget-conscious or the eco-friendly.
What is the answer is the hybrid vehicle, which can get up to 60 miles per gallon for a car and from 35-45 miles per gallon for a hybrid SUV. Hybrid cars produce significantly less air pollutants and can even qualify owners for a one-time tax credit.
Most importantly, hybrid cars can reduce your carbon footprint and provide you with an economically and environmentally safer drive wherever you go.
What is a hybrid car?
A hybrid vehicle, also known as a hybrid electric car, combines a fuel-efficient gas engine with an electric motor powered by batteries. Since their introduction to the auto market in the early 1990’s, hybrid cars are becoming more popular everyday with people that are actively participating in the green movement.
What is the purpose of a hybrid car?
Hybrid cars are complex vehicles that have a simple purpose: to reduce the amount of fuel emissions released into the air. Since a hybrid car combines an engine that uses gas with a motor that reduces gas consumption, these two things balance each other out to increase gas mileage. This allows the hybrid car to travel further distances using the same amount of gas as a traditional car.
How does a hybrid car work?
A hybrid car has the same gas engine as a traditional car, only it’s made much smaller to help control fuel emissions. Hybrids also have an electric motor that is powered by a rechargeable battery. The gas engine works together with the electric motor to:
- Apply resistance to the breaks to slow down and stop the car
- Provide extra power to the motor to go up a hill
- Increase the speed of the car
- Reduce the amount of drag on the tires
- Automatically shut off when the car is idle and automatically start when the accelerator is pushed
To learn more about how a hybrid card works click here.
What are the different types of hybrid cars?
There are two types of hybrid cars:
- Series – Uses the gas engine to start the car, and once it has reached a certain speed the electric motor takes over. The gas engine recharges the motor’s batteries whenever it is turned on.
- Parallel – Both the gas engine and electric motor are used to start and stop the car. The use of these two powers simultaneously helps to increase the car’s speed.
What are the advantages of having a hybrid vehicle?
There are many reasons why a hybrid card is better than a traditional car:
- You save money on gas with less fuel consumption
- Smaller engines produce less air pollution and greenhouse gases
- The battery acts as a back-up energy source for the electric motor
- Hybrids are more lightweight than the average car, thus increasing their speed and performance
- The electric motor produces less roadway noise
- There is reduced wear on breaks because of the automatic break system
- Less wear and tear on the engine, so fewer trips to the car shop
- You can receive a tax incentive if you purchase an energy efficient car
- Many insurance providers offer reduced rates because hybrid owners are seen as more responsible
- Hybrids have low-rolling resistance tires that help reduce drag
Are there any drawbacks?
There are very few drawbacks to owning a hybrid vehicle because they are both energy efficient and also do not harm the environment. But even though they are environmentally friendly, there are a few disadvantages of owning one.
The two main drawbacks are that they are more expensive than traditional cars and not many mechanics know how to operate on them. That can make finding a replacement part very difficult.
What are my options if I want to get a hybrid vehicle?
The hybrid electric car is the perfect vehicle for anyone looking for increased fuel efficiency and reduced gas emission. Over the years they have become quite popular, and many car manufacturers have various models to choose from. The two most popular hybrid manufacturers are Honda and Toyota.
Whether it’s a truck, bus, moped, motorcycle or taxi, the hybrid vehicle will continue to be a safe alternative to traditional gas-powered cars.