Catch a Ride with Zipcar
- Once you become a member, you can reserve a vehicle on the internet or over the phone.
- A special bar-coded Zipcard unlocks the car and start the engine.
- Drivers are charged only $8 an hour, and that includes fuel and free parking on campus.
- Reduces the number of cars on campus.
- Decreases carbon emissions.
The best thing about this program is that it will benefit incoming freshmen, who will not be allowed to have cars on campus.
Ubike Saves on Gas
The university’s other Green U program is called Ubike, which is basically a bike-friendly program for all students. Benefits of the program include:
- Cheaper bike and accessory purchases.
- Service discounts.
- Bike paths throughout campus.
- Free air pump stations.
The campus even put up bike signs and light poles for the bikers.
These are just two of the most recent positive green initiatives the University of Miami is implementing on campus, along with UM Police using new segways to reduce fuel consumption and the on-campus recycling programs.
Right now about 70 colleges and universities use the Zipcar program, and more colleges are offering bike rentals to students, so hopefully this trend will continue to spread across the country.